Hardware questions.

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Mon Feb 4 12:32:43 EST 2002

Hi, Anna. Well, If you want to go laptop IBM has some laptop's that are 99%
Linux compatible, but they do cary a heavy price tag.
The IBM t23 and the IBM T22 series are just a couple of examples.
However, it is much better to build a desktop, for many reasons. You can
upgrade anything it yourself if you have the ability to do that kind of
thing. You know exactly the hardware in the box, and you can make it 100%
Linux compatible right out of the box. most of all it is usually much
cheaper than a laptop.
and here is what I would use for hardware.

Soundcard: Soundblaster Live value or Soundblaster Live Platnem.
Modem: 3com USR Linux modem. This is the only modem 100% that clames to be
officially supported. Although there are plenty of others that can be used.
Printer: Lexmark z53 ink jet.Wonderful printer, and even comes with Red Hat
drivers right out of the box. Easy to config.
Scanner: HP 6390 scannerSCSI .It is a pretty decent SCSI scanner and OCR
Shop support's it.
As far as vidio cards go try and get ATI Rage, because most ATI's are
supported by Linux. Especially, if you plan to use X in the future.
As far as rom burner goes I am sure everyone will give you a different make
and moddle. I use a creative burner, and thus far haven't had much trouble,
but you can probably use HP, Philips, Sony, or whatever sounds good to you.