Can speakup pronounce February correctly?

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Feb 4 08:16:34 EST 2002

In Canada and Australia and england we say "zed"
so speakup says zed. you have the source.
If you don't like the letter pronounciations go patch them and
recompile your kernel. 10 seconds work patching one array.
Regarding exception dictionaries, you have to pass every word through a function to check it against
the words in the dictionary and that eats up time and kernel memory.
Now the doubletalk has the ability to load a set of exceptions into the ram,
and I guess speakup could handle this; but I wonder how much
system overhead it would take to handle the dictionaries and would they have to be sorted and
indexable for reasonable performance? How do you propose to handle
the allocation of memory in the running kernel for a dictionary and how would we add one in? something in /proc?
Personally I think monitor windows; cursor tracking options and hte like are higher priority... but I know how it annoys when the synth
won't pronounce your name properly etc.

Regards, Kerry.

Kerry Hoath:  kerry at gotss.net kerry at gotss.eu.org or  kerry at gotss.spice.net.au