Speakup HowTo - Your input

Jennifer E Jobst jobst at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 1 13:20:13 EST 2002

Greetings,

The purpose of the new Speakup HOWTO is to bring together a number of
existing documents into a single cohesive whole, with the goal of making it
easier for users to find and access any Speakup-related documentation.

It is true that the "Speakup HOWTO" and the "How to Install the Speakup
Modified Redhat Distribution" documents differ in some ways - different
people may take different paths to achieve the same end goal, and this is
reflected in the documents. Regardless, Saqib and I believe that
contributors to the Linux community, be they developers, writers, etc, have
a responsibility to create the best possible product for the intended
users.  Janina, you are absolutely correct in saying that providing
conflicting information would not serve users well. In addition, each
document seems to contain important information which the other does not,
and completeness is important in any document. As both documents are
currently in draft format, perhaps we could work together to develop a
solution that best suits the community's needs?

Sincerely,

-j

Jennifer E. Jobst
Linux Information Development
IBM Linux Technology Services
(512) 838-8298, T/L 678-8298

                      Janina Sajka
                      <janina at afb.net>         To:       speakup at braille.uwo.ca
                                               cc:       Jennifer E Jobst/Austin/IBM at IBMUS
                      02/01/2002 08:37         Subject:  Re: Speakup HowTo - Your input
                      AM

I've taken a very cursory glance at the "installing Redhat" section. I
choose this because item because I don't have much time just now, and
installing the Speakup Modified Redhat distribution is my assignment here.

Off the top of my head I have noted several discrepencies between this
document and Bill and my HOWTO. So, I have to ask Saqib and Jennifer, did
you look at our HOWTO before writing this document? I would hope we'll not
disagree on our advice to new users as that will most certainly complicate
tech support here. Our draft HOWTO is at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org/ftp/disks/redhat/HOWTO_INSTALL.html

On the other hand, why not simply reference our document from yours? That
should fix all of this.

--

                                                 Janina Sajka, Director
                                                 Technology Research and