speakup.i and scsi conflict followup

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Fri Dec 27 18:27:11 EST 2002

Jude,

All the pieces needed to support CD writing have been included in
my Slackware distributions for several versions back now.
Sometimes when a module does not exist it is because that
particular driver was compiled into the kernel instead of as a
module. That is the case with the driver for my network card, and
also for the card that Nick was asking about earlier, as far as I
know.

Also, there should be no need to guess about the device name for
your CD. Examine the boot messages available with dmesg and very
early in that sequence you will find out exactly what the device
name of your CD is. That is the name you will use on your boot
parameter line.

I got my CD writer working with very little difficulty by reading
the docs and man pages that came with the cdrecord package. I
chose the path of recompiling the kernel without the ide cdrom
driver, although nowadays I have the ide cdrom driver included as
well as scsi cdrom emulation and scsi generic. I solve this
problem with a lilo option of the sort you described and
everything works great.

Chuck

So visit me sometime at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh