jerky speech from doubletalk?

William F. Acker WB2FLW +1-303-777-8123 wacker at octothorp.org
Wed Aug 28 12:05:29 EDT 2002

Hi Aaron,

     You nailed the problem.  The i386 kernel would fix it, but there's an
easier way.  Speakup lets you adjust the timing parameters, so it's
possible to go into the /proc/speakup/<synth> directory and use echo or cp
to set the values for the 512Hz kernel.  I use settings similar to these.
jiffy_delta=25 and delay_time=100.
I use an Audapter, but I tried to adjust the values based on the litetalk
defaults.  The trigger_time value is radically different between the
Audapter and Litetalk.  I didn't change mine, but it's possible that you
might need to.
     It should be pointed out that we're messing with timers actually in
the kernel and if they get too far out of whack, there might be
consequences such as file corruption.  Proceed with extreme caution.

          HTH.
--

          Bill in Denver