thinkpad update

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Wed Aug 28 11:49:09 EDT 2002

Hi all!
While I don't have the cables to connect yet, my ethernet has been recognized on
my thinkpad t23. I have run ./scanpci from the ltmodem package and my modem is
known to be supported. Very encouraging news! Except now i'll have to buy a
pcmcia card for serial because I only have one serial port and won't be able to
use the modem and my speech/braille at the same time. How come once you start
spending money, you always end up having to spend more?!
The sound card is supposed to be a crystal fusion but i have tried both possible
kernel drivers and am not finding any messages that show the driver was ever
loaded or attempted to be loaded. so i'm not quite sure what to do about this.
In my reading, I did come across something that might have to be changed in the
bios settings to get the soundcard drivers to work. I've just ordered a cable so
I can hook the floppy drive externally through a
special port that looks like a ps2 port--kind of round. About $50, buyt there
are just too many times when I need both the cdrom and the floppy accessible.
the numeric keypad will therefore have to wait, but I am very pleased with the
keymap that buddy sent me. Really works quite well once you get used to it.
Thanks to all who helped me get this going.

Cheryl