gmt option in kernel

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Mon Aug 26 05:55:06 EDT 2002

No it is the hwclock program that is called from your  rc
scripts that sets the system clock; here is how it works:
When you boot the system; the kernel clock is unset. You run
hwclock
or hwclock -u
if your hardware clock keeps gmt. this sets the kernel's clock to the
cmos clock.
After this point; typing date will yield the right date.
gettimeofday and other clock functions should return correct local time.
As the machine shuts down; an rc.. script
runs hwclock -u -w
or hwclock -w if the time is localtime in the hardware clock.
If the kernel is told that the time source is synchronized by ntpd
or similar; it will write the time value back to the cmos clock every 11 minutes
which is optimal for a room temperature quartz oscillator or so they tell me.
You can tinker with this using adjtimex and friends.

Regards, Kerry.