help with orientation to thinkpad t23

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Tue Aug 20 00:35:12 EDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Hi everybody; thanks for the help!
> I'm interested to know if most of you that have laptops have gotten rid of
> windows or repartitioned and put linux on.

It shouldn't matter what you decide to do, personally I kept Windows for a
while but have now taken it off in favour of Linux.

Be aware, however, that the first thing you'll need to do when booting
into Windows, is to enter your name, and also the serial number.  Be
warned, although I know nothing about the Thinkpad specifically, they can
hide the Windows serial number in odd places.  2 that I know of are on the
cover of the manual (so you hae to open and presumably read it) and also,
amazingly, on the underside of the machine itself!

Have fun.

> also, does anybody know whether I can boot from floppy if i put it in or if I'll
> have to get somebody to get into the bios first?

Again, no promises, but you should be able to boot from floppy without
altering cmos settings.

Good luck.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808