help with orientation to thinkpad t23

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Aug 19 14:46:05 EDT 2002

Hi, Cheryl:

I use lilo as a boot loader.

I've attached my lilo.conf so you can get a sense of how I use it.

Briefly, I have two Ctrl-G's in my /boot/message file in order to get two
clear beeps from the system speaker when lilo starts. In case I have a
serial synth connected, I also have the serial= line in my lilo.conf too.

Because I still eval some Windows things, I have a win98se installation on
/dev/hda3 which I happily backup using dd.

Notice the aliases below for booting different external synths. It all
just depends! <grin>

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
compact
prompt
timeout=500
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=current
serial=0,9600N8

image=/boot/vmlinuz25
label = zenith
alias = z
vga=0X317
#initrd=/boot/initrd.img-25
read-only
root=/dev/hda1
append = "hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-new
label = new
alias = n
vga=0X317
#initrd=/boot/initrd.img-new
read-only
root=/dev/hda1
append = "hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi"

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label=current
alias = c
vga=0X317
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda1
append = "hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi"

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label=express
alias = x
vga=0X317
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda1
append = "speakup_synth=dectlk hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi"

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label=litetalk
alias = l
vga=0X317
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda1
append = "speakup_synth=ltlk hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi"

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label=bns
alias = b
vga=0X317
initrd=/boot/initrd.img
read-only
root=/dev/hda1
append = "speakup_synth=bns hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi"

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	label=transport
alias=t
	initrd=/boot/initrd.img
vga=0X317
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda1
	append="speakup_synth=txprt speakup_ser=0 hdc=ide-scsi hde=ide-scsi"

image = /boot/vmlinuz
label=vmware
alias = v
vga=0X317