Running Windows 98 SE in RedHat

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Tue Aug 20 01:04:18 EDT 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, ADFM wrote:

> Until I can learn Linux, (which should not take long), can I setup
> Samba in a console to run Windows 98SE? I just got RedHat speaking
> with Speakup and a dual boot system using Grub. I am starting to get
> tired of reading something in Windows and then shutting down, boot
> into RedHat and then trying out what I read and then booting into
> Windows. I started with computers in July 1984 . The first computer
> was a Commodore 64 and I am at about the level of Novice to Medium
> Computerr Programmer.

Samba is not a way to run another operating system, it just allows you to
mount remote file systems on other windows machines, or you can set up
your local machine to appear to have Windows shares on it.  If you want to
run one os inside another, you'll need vmware but that's complicated, and
anyway your Windows screenreader may not work.

The best thing to do is to learn how to use less for reading text docs,
and lynx for reading html docs, and do your reading in Linux, and do
things on another consol as you go.

HTH

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808