serial port not showing on thinkpad

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Mon Aug 19 21:14:26 EDT 2002

at a guess, from looking at your dmesg output,
you have a kernel with serial support compiled as a module.
You'll need to build in serial support into the kernel if you want to use speakup.
The clue here is that there's not even an attempt to load the serial driver,
normally it should load and report no ports found if its compiled in and there isn't a serial port.
Regards
Aaron
On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 08:04:25PM -0500, Cheryl Homiak wrote:

> Ok, I got a "message waiting for moderator approoval" message on this because
> it's too long, so i'm splitting it up.
> The email follows; then I'll send the dmesg.txt; am including most of it because
> there may be other things from it I should know that somebody can point out.
>

> My original message:
> I'm sure I understood this had a serial port; in fact, I've
> attached my
> braillelite and my doubletalk (at different times) to what I'm sure must be the
> serial port. However, it isn't showing up anywhere.
> I tried using the woody debian installation (rescue and root) disks with my
> thinkpad. both of them worked, except that neither the braillelite or doubletalk
> came up. so, after loading the rescue disk and the root disk for speakup with
> debian woody, I changed over with alt f2 to the other console, saved dmesg to a
> file, and then copied dmesg.txt to a floppy. then I read it on my desktop
> computer. Litetalk is not found and there is no mention of a serial port.
> I'm going to include most of the dmesg.txt here in case there may be other
> things of which I should be made aware. I know this is long, so I'll trim off
> some of the beginning bios info. Any input will be appreciated, but especially
> ideas about the serial port.
> Of course, if it turns out I really don't have a serial port, I can get a pcmcia
> card; will probably have to eventually anyway.
> Thanks.
> Cheryl
> I'm sure I understood this had a serial port; in fact, I've attached my
> braillelite and my doubletalk (at different times) to what I'm sure must be the
> serial port. However, it isn't showing up anywhere.
> I tried using the woody debian installation (rescue and root) disks with my
> thinkpad. both of them worked, except that neither the braillelite or doubletalk
> came up. so, after loading the rescue disk and the root disk for speakup with
> debian woody, I changed over with alt f2 to the other console, saved dmesg to a
> file, and then copied dmesg.txt to a floppy. then I read it on my desktop
> computer. Litetalk is not found and there is no mention of a serial port.
> I'm going to include most of the dmesg.txt here in case there may be other
> things of which I should be made aware. I know this is long, so I'll trim off
> some of the beginning bios info. Any input will be appreciated, but especially
> ideas about the serial port.
> Of course, if it turns out I really don't have a serial port, I can get a pcmcia
> card; will probably have to eventually anyway.
> Thanks.
> Cheryl

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |