serial port not showing on thinkpad

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at chartermi.net
Mon Aug 19 21:04:25 EDT 2002

Ok, I got a "message waiting for moderator approoval" message on this because
it's too long, so i'm splitting it up.
The email follows; then I'll send the dmesg.txt; am including most of it because
there may be other things from it I should know that somebody can point out.

My original message:
I'm sure I understood this had a serial port; in fact, I've
attached my
braillelite and my doubletalk (at different times) to what I'm sure must be the
serial port. However, it isn't showing up anywhere.
I tried using the woody debian installation (rescue and root) disks with my
thinkpad. both of them worked, except that neither the braillelite or doubletalk
came up. so, after loading the rescue disk and the root disk for speakup with
debian woody, I changed over with alt f2 to the other console, saved dmesg to a
file, and then copied dmesg.txt to a floppy. then I read it on my desktop
computer. Litetalk is not found and there is no mention of a serial port.
I'm going to include most of the dmesg.txt here in case there may be other
things of which I should be made aware. I know this is long, so I'll trim off
some of the beginning bios info. Any input will be appreciated, but especially
ideas about the serial port.
Of course, if it turns out I really don't have a serial port, I can get a pcmcia
card; will probably have to eventually anyway.
Thanks.
Cheryl