Woody Distro

Erik Heil eheil at rcn.com
Thu Aug 15 09:33:41 EDT 2002

Hi everyone.
OK, I'm just going to post my comments on the Woody distro here.  Hopefully I don't start a flame war or anything, but the comments are just as a result of what I've experienced first hand.  so here goes.
1. When doing a full upgrade from Potato, I get errors relating to modprobe.  I also get unresolved symbols.  note that I really don't use /etc/modules.conf, as I usually just load modules from scripts.
2.  After upgrading, Exim is broken.
3.  At least in in my case, SSL libraries were broken, so I had to recompile them.  Ditto for Lynx.  But I was able to fix this.
4.  Apt installed a lot of packages that were unecissary.  In my case, it downloaded about 150MB of data.  It install GTK and other stuff which is not necissary.
5.  After upgrading, les complains about an object error, but still functions fine.  Minor annoyance, but I can deal with it.

In my opinion, Woody isn't ready for distrobution. Perhaps this may be unique to my configuration, but their are just too many unresolved issues.  Luckilly, I have a few other Linux boxes still running Potato hre.  Have any of you experienced any of these problems?  BC what I'd do is just assemble the responses, and post a bunch of bug reports to the Bug Tracking system.  if any of you want to e-mail me off-list, feel free too at eheil at rcn.com.

Erik
<eheil at rcn.com>