export as a normal user

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Wed Aug 14 23:26:05 EDT 2002

Greg,
They are actually getting exported, but from within the context of the shell running the script, not from within your login shell's context.
So they are only visible while that shell (and hence the script) is active.
There's a way around this, but I can never remember how its done, its something to do with using exec I think.
Regards
Aaron
On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 09:15:27PM -0500, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> If I log in as a normal user, and have something like "export VAR='string'" in my '$HOME/.profile', that value exports just fine.
>
> However, if I try to export as a normal user from any other script besides $HOME/.profile, the values don't get exported, even though I can export them just fine if I do it by hand at a bash prompt. Can someone please explain why this is, and how can I change it? Thanks in advance.
> Greg

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |