CONFIG_X86_MCE question

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Tue Aug 13 16:22:07 EDT 2002

Hi all.

In the 2.4.19 kernel there is a new option "CONFIG_X86_MCE". The help says that this is a machine check exception which allows the kernel to take actions based on the hardware status. It also says that this is disabled by default for pentium machines. I was not able to find anything about this in linux/Documentation, so I was wondering if someone might know the following.

1. By saying that it is disabled by default for pentium machines, does this only apply to original pentium machines, or would it apply to a pentium-III machine as well?
2. If I have this option in my kernel, can I find out if it is actually enabled and working?
3. If the option is disabled, the kernel config help mentions that it could be enabled via a boot option, but they don't say what the boot option is. Does anyone knowwhat should be put into lilo's append line for this option to be enabled if it is disabled by default?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Greg