upgrade problems

igueths at attbi.com igueths at attbi.com
Tue Aug 13 13:06:42 EDT 2002

Hi all. I upgraded to Woody about three days ago, and
have since been experiencing many problems. In my
opinion, the thing's not even close to being ready for
stable distribution (unlike potato). Is anyone currently
experiencing problems with modutils, where modprobe
says "invalid line 81 in modules.conf?" Considering the
fact that nothing has been changed in modules.conf for a
considerably long time, because I have always been
experienced a status 10 in fetchmail because connection
to localhost failed? The most probable cause for this is
an early termination by exim (This was in my syslog
output). Another thing that has been happening to me is
that whenever I download a file in Lynx, and go back to
the previous page, Dectalk seases responding to
keystrokes. This means that possibly setserial is
attempting to change port configuration and preventing
data from being passed to the serial device (the Dectalk
express). Also at boot time, when I am trying to review
the screen with the 5 and 6 keys on the numpad, they
don't work when the hd is being probed for example. They
only work starting at the login prompt. To fix this
problem, I am going to get the keymap that I was using
in potato and revert back to it. In terms of the
problems with the packages, I am going to replace the
Woody version with the potato version of setserial, and
possibly getting the latest version of Exim. Or if that
doesn't work, I'm going to use the Potato version. And
in terms of modutils, its going to have to get scrapped
for the earlier version as well. So far, I know of one
person who has or is experiencing the problems mentioned
above. Is there anyone else? I am considering submitting
a series of bug reports when this whole thing gets
resolved (if nobody else has done so already). Thanks in
advance for any input!