ssl with apache

Aaron Howell aaron at kitten.net.au
Sun Aug 4 21:47:43 EDT 2002

No, but it might have replaced the guide i was talking about.
When I was there, about 2 years ago, there was a guide which told you exactly how to create apache compatible keys with openssl,
and also how to go about getting them signed by thawte if you needed that.
I generally just fill in bogus details when I want to download something protected by a form if I dont feel like being bugged
(and i have great pitty for whoever owns harry_potter at hotmail.com).
There's nothing that requires you to be honest about where you live/what you are doing unless you are trying to purchase something with a credit card in which case giving false details is an offence.
Regards
Aaron
On Sun, Aug 04, 2002 at 08:38:25PM -0500, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 10:13:34AM +1000, Aaron Howell wrote:
> > As for generating your key files,  there is excellent information on that at http://www.thawte.com under the ssl certificate section
> > in a "how to secure apache using thawte ssl certificates" document (at least there was last time I looked.
>
> There is a supposedly free guide called securing web servers with ssl (there doesn't seem to be anything specific to apache).
>
> When you select that link, it takes you to this detailed form which requires you to fill out your e-mail, where you live, phone number, which domain you want to secure, how quickly do you need to have the domain secured, and some other stuff.
>
> Is this the guide you were referring to?
> It seems to me as if they are trying to make a sale (or at least have multiple sources where they can reach you to bug you about it) rather then offering a free guide.
> Thanks.
> Greg

    /             |\      _,,,---,,_                           /|
| Aaron Howell                  Kitten Internet            |    |
| aaron at kitten.net.au           Internet consultancy,      |    |
| Phone: +61-417-625550         System administration,     |    |
| fax: +61-7-36010099           system design/integration. |    |
| icq: 6715521                  http://www.kitten.net.au   |    |