an update on my courier imap problem

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Aug 4 12:55:14 EDT 2002

Hi all.

Thanks to bill, I changed my fetchmail configuration to use ssl, and varified that it is correct by getting mail from speakup.octothorp.org.

I then adapted this configuration to reflect linserver.romuald.net.eu.org, and the user on that machine.
Now, when I run fetchmail in vurbose mode, I get this.

fetchmail: 5.9.11 querying linserver.romuald.net.eu.org (protocol IMAP) at Sun Aug  4 11:47:28 2002: poll started
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Courier Mail Server
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: localhost
fetchmail: Server CommonName: localhost
fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost != linserver.romuald.net.eu.org
fetchmail: linserver.romuald.net.eu.org key fingerprint: 62:8C:ED:53:62:BC:1E:5D:9B:EF:35:23:9E:CB:37:38
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: self signed certificate
fetchmail: Issuer Organization: Courier Mail Server
fetchmail: Issuer CommonName: localhost
fetchmail: Server CommonName: localhost
fetchmail: Server CommonName mismatch: localhost != linserver.romuald.net.eu.org
fetchmail: Warning: server certificate verification: self signed certificate
fetchmail: IMAP< * OK Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2002 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
fetchmail: IMAP> A0001 CAPABILITY
fetchmail: IMAP< * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT AUTH=PLAIN
fetchmail: IMAP< A0001 OK CAPABILITY completed
fetchmail: IMAP> A0002 LOGIN "romualt" "*"
fetchmail: IMAP> A0003 *
fetchmail: Unknown login or authentication error on romualt at linserver.romuald.net.eu.org
fetchmail: socket error while fetching from linserver.romuald.net.eu.org
fetchmail: 5.9.11 querying linserver.romuald.net.eu.org (protocol IMAP) at Sun Aug  4 11:47:29 2002: poll completed
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2

With that in mind, I know now that something is wrong with the authentication, but I still can't figure out what.

Any other help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Greg