[dandrews at visi.com: Fw: Admittedly off topic]

Edward L. Barnes ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
Sat Aug 3 12:29:08 EDT 2002

Hi Ann and list.
?While I believe it is a great idea to nominate Kirk for such an award I
don't know how receptive the CNIB would be to such a nomination, after
all, that not so wonderful organization which claims to be the be all
and end all of organizations for the blind in Canada which it isn't in
my humble opinion doesn't have a link to the speakup project
http://www.linux-speakup.org site, not sure why, if it's a question of
the fact they are unaware of the project or if it's a question of the
fact the CNIB doesn't think Speakup worthy of such a link.
And, do you think the CNIB would actually bother to go to all the
trouble of bestoing an award upon someone who is just doing plane old
good work, or do you feel as I do and conclude that in this case the
level of publicity which this achieved and the fact that Uncle Bill sunk
a bit of pcket change into their digital library project has more to do
with the award? Just my wramblings on this one, am curious what others
might think.
Best regards to all.

Ed Barnes
Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, Canada
home phone +1-709-596-3165
e-mail and msn messenger id ebarnes at enigma2.cjb.net
********
"There is a fantasy in Redmond that Microsoft products are innovative, but
this is based entirely on a peculiar confusion of the words 'innovative'
and 'successful.' Microsoft products are successful -- they make a lot of
money -- but that doesn't make them innovative, or even particularly
good." -ROBERT X. CRINGELY
********