newbie again: installed RedHat but Win ME won't let it even consider booting

Liz Hare eh51 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 30 14:05:52 EDT 2002

Hello,

I managed to install RedHat last night-- several times, in fact.

I am trying to do a dual-boot with Windows Millenium.  I tried the options
of putting the boot stuff in the MBR and the other option-- was that the
boot directory?   It didn't like either way.  It didn't seem to fit in the
MBR, because it suggested that it might not work and that I better make a
boot floppy.

I am using lilo.

I have a read a lot of things that have confused me.

Supposedly, Win ME and XP and maybe some others present problems because
they don't have an underlying DOS mode.  I haven't been able to figure out
what one is supposed to do about this, though.  If nothing, any ideas about
why my installation isn't working?

I promise once I get this up and running I will stop asking dumb
questions!  I've used Unix a lot but never set it up before.

Liz