ftp and shell access

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Apr 28 10:59:28 EDT 2002

"Something that doesn't let them log in?" Are you referring to anonymous ftp? You need to be careful with anonymous ftp
as there are many known attacks based on it.

You need to run an ftp server, of course. Go to /usr/doc and look for what particular one your distribution installed.
With Red Hat systems this would be wu-ftpd, which includes an excellent HOWTO on setting up security for anonymous ftp
logins, as well for securing "guest" access, meaning named users with their own passwords.

If you are talking about named users, you should read about hosts.allow and hosts.deny. which can define what services
users are provided.

If you're not thinking of anything that elaborate, just don't assign accounts. You don't need an account for anonymous
ftp access.

Of course, there's little reason these days to run a telnet server. If you're doing that, stop doing it.