advice please

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat Apr 27 13:06:32 EDT 2002

Hi:

Looks like an OK plan to me mostly. A few comments:

You need swap. It's just a good idea. Rule of thumb is double your RAM to get its size. So, you should do 512. Will you
need it all? Probably not--but when you start messing with accessible GNOME later this year, you might appreciate it.
And, if you start editing wav files, you'll appreciate it.

I know Red Hat does a separate / and /boot. I do not and haven't had a problem. I have 256mB in slash, and am just over
50% full. But, I symbolically link my /var/ftp, /var/www, and /var/spool/mail to directories on /home for a reason I
will provide below.

You should absolutely have /usr and /home as separate partitions. I also symlink /usr/local to a directory in my /home
for the same reason as alluded above. Namely, if /home is fully separate from / and /usr, it becomes very easy to
upgrade your OS, even easy to reinstall from scratch without losing data. I simply backup /etc to /home/bk/etc (plus a
few other key files), and I have no compunctions about reformatting / and /usr to upgrade, whenever I like.

About booting and lilo: You'll get the choice of mbr or first partition for lilo when you install. Select mbr. You'll be
asked to provide labels for "other bootable partitions" meaning your Windows partition. Call it whatever you like. That
makes it bootable from lilo.

The lilo prompt then becomes the first thing you deal with when booting. You can make it accessible in several ways--a
couple of beeps from /boot/message help. You can get this by doing:

echo -e \a "Welcome to Linux!" \a >/boot/message

Also, if you're using a serial speech synth, lilo can say "boot" for you as you get to the lilo prompt by having the
following line in your lilo.conf:

serial=0,9600N8

assuming that your synth is on the first serial port.

Your lilo.conf file will have a default. If you do nothing, after a time out period, the default is booted.

You can have alias designations for your various boot images. I use single character alias designations. So, when I boot
with a litetalk, in just type l and press enter. When I boot with a Transport, I press t and enter. When I want Windows,
I type "dos" and press enter.

I've attached my lilo.conf to give you an idea.

PS: my vga= is specific to my video, but it gives me screens of 48 lines and 135 chars.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG