question

Toby Fisher toby_fisher at bigfoot.com
Thu Apr 25 02:26:28 EDT 2002

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Charles Hallenbeck wrote:

> The mime.types file associates a mime type with one or more
> filename extensions, such as rm, ra, ram, etc.  Probably those
> will not need editing. The mailcap file associates a command with
> each of the mime types. The command will be "trplayer %s" where
> the %s stands for the filename that trplayer will play. I believe
> the sample mailcap file uses freeamp to play some things, and
> trplayer to play others, and so you may want to look those lines
> over and make sure that you do not try to run a program that you
> do not have on your system.

Just as an addition, is there anything to be gained by adding an & to the
end of the command, so that control is returned to Lynx, and if so, how do
you then stop the player wwithout manually killing the process?

 > If you  get them right, you can
just press enter in Lynx on those > audio stream urls and away you go.

Yes, and in addition if you configure it correctly, you should be able to
play audio attachments right out of your email program, I know that Pine
supports this - it was the Pine team that developed MIME.

Cheers.

Toby Fisher	Email: toby at g0ucu.freeserve.co.uk
Tel.: +44(0)1480 417272	Mobile: +44(0)7974 363239
ICQ: #61744808