Newbie Installing Redhat

Ed Barnes na007375 at janus.northatlantic.nf.ca
Sun Apr 21 12:35:56 EDT 2002

Hi Liz.
If you can remember the name of the problematic package why not try
downloading only this package or all packages whose names are very close in
resemblance from the speakup ftp site.
Copy the contents of both disks unto your system into separate folders.
Then burn the contents of each respective folder including the packages
which you chose to over-write unto two new cds if you have a burner
available to you.
I realize that my suggestion necessitates you either having a second system
available or you being able to boot into another operating system on the
system unto which you were trying to install Red Hat so I know that my idea
may not even be plausible for you as I don't know you personally so I don't
know the resources you have available to you from a technical view point.
     The reason I make this suggestion is that downloading a couple of rpm
packages shouldn't take terribly long even if you don't have a fast connection.
If you don't have another system that is running at the moment and or a
burner I'd probably recommend attempting to obtain more cds with speakup
built-in as the install's pretty easy.
Alternately if we are looking at a situation where you can't modify the cds
you already have I'd probably make a boot disk using the boot.img file
located in the /images directory on rh modified cd 1 and then install using
a non-speakup modified set of rh cds.
Pardon me for making an assumption here but if you are an research
associate at an University they probably have people there who could get
you a set of non-speakup modified rh cds and if you provide them with the
boot.img file found in the /images dir on cd 1 which Janina sent you
creating a speakup-enabled boot floppy so the machine would talk during the
install process using the command rawrite boot.img then specifying a: which
is likely the location of the system's floppy drive is a snap.
Therefore you could boot the system and it would talk and the install would
resemble the one you've already attempted one time.
     I hope this is somewhat helpful though I am relatively new to Linux
myself so don't have any profoundly wonderful solution to offer.
The only thing I'd probably add to what others have echoed already is that
if you were stuck without the ability to highjack a pair of eyeballs for an
hour or so you could probably do the install without help so long as you
took a bit of time to familiarize yourself with Speakup's default key
assignments.
    And, if you're new to Linux yourself and won't have anyone around when
you install the system you might be best off not installing any x-based
packages as you will want your system to re-boot in a talkative state.
And lastly, if you want my opinion I'd only buy the non-modified rh disks
in the event you were absolutely stuck. This list is a very helpful bunch
or at least I think so in my month or two of hanging out on it so I'm sure
if you are eager to learn and put a bit of effort in yourself  the group
will do its best to get you up and running.
If I can help further by elaborating on my experiences installing RH as
another newbie so to speak I'd be happy to do so.
Feel free to contact me via the list or directly using either:
na007375 at janus.northatlantic.nf.ca or edbarnes at superweb.ca.
   Have a nice day!
Ed Barnes