Copying Audio CD's

Kerry Hoath kerry at gotss.net
Sat Apr 20 02:45:11 EDT 2002

Basically you need to set some options on the generic-mmc driver like
--driver generic_mmc:0X20
run cdrecord -prcap
and see if your drive can read rw or pq subchannel information. If not,
tell the generic-mmc driver so with option 0x20. If your drive won't read
isrc information then tell it to use the alternate method or tun that
feature off. If you can't scan for pregaps or index markers
then use --fast-toc instead.
cdparanoia rips audio only. Many people think it is for
copying audio cds; but it isn't.
It won't record index markers, catalog numbers, isrc codes or any of the
p-w subcode information.
It obliterates pregap information and often the toc won't match
against the cddb record for the original disk anymore.
Email me the results of cdrecord -prcap off-list and I'll see what magic options are
needed for the generic-mmc driver to make it work with your hardware.
cdparanoia is good for ripping a track or 7, making mp3s and the like but since it rips
track by track it is not well suited for exact audio cd copying.
Note that Niro like cdrdao has trouble with certain drives, and it has a database
in text file format to tell it what it can and can not do with a drive.
My Liteon and Yamaha writers work fine with cdrdao as does my aopen cdrom
drive, but because my lg 8482b drive doesn't
support read-pq subchannel I need option 0X20 on the
generic_mmc driver.
Hope some of this  helps.

REgards, Kerry.