aplay/arecord start-up error

Watson, Keith Keith.Watson at Sypris.com
Thu Apr 18 11:04:26 EDT 2002

Hi all,

Since we are posting arecord usage I thought my two cents might help some.

arecord -q -d 2820 -f cd -r44100 -c2 -I track1.raw track4.raw

I use this to record 47 minutes of, oh lets say a 4 track source, off a
standard tape deck. The point is that you can split the channels with the -I
switch, if you have a need.

Keith Watson
Sypris Electronics
Email:  Keith.Watson at sypris.com <mailto:Keith.Watson at sypris.com>
Phone: (813) 972-6270
Fax #:  (813) 972-6842

-----Original Message-----
From: 'Georgina' [mailto:gena at gena-j.net]
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 8:13 AM
To: speakup at braille.uwo.ca
Subject: Re: aplay/arecord start-up error

Hi

Glad that your requested the version number of the alsa driver as some of
the lines may produce interesting results.  I see that the -d (Duration) was
set at 2 hours, that's a lot of disk space.

Using alsa 09 beta 10 I use these lines:

arecord -d 1800 <filename>.wav

This will produce a 8 bit mono file of 14Mb of half an hour.

arecord -f cd -d 1800 <filename>.wav

Which will record a 16 bit stereo CD quality recording.  Can't remember the
disk space used for this half an hour recording.

A "arecord --help" will tell users what switches are available for their
particular version.  Providing the little indians don't get you, lol.

Gena

Blindness Advocacy and Self Help Online www.bashonline.org