newest of the newbies

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Mon Apr 15 23:04:58 EDT 2002

Hi, Rod:

Well, let's see how simply I can answer you.

Piece of cake on the DSL. In fact, we can help you get up to speed better because you have DSL.

As for the rest of it--it's in there. All of it, and a lot more.

Welcome home!

PS: I've attached the curent draft version of a HOWTO that may help direct you to some more reading.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002, Rob wrote:

> Hello List,
>
>      I'll try and keep this short and I suppose one person answering
> will do, don't expect a big ol' thread on my question.
>     Well it all started a couple Saturdays ago in my In box when I got
> a newsletter talking about, in part, investigating Linux and it gave a
> url.  I followed it and was very intrigued since I miss my old Unix
> Shell account that I started on the computer with a few years ago.
>      After doing some digging I found out about Speakup and the
> synthesizers it supports etc.  I will be buying a Doubletalk if I
> indeed pursue Linux as an alternate operating system.
>      I guess my immediate questions are, I have a dsl connection, how
> hard will it be to configure so that I may use it.  Also, does Linux
> have a built in Telnet client and IRC client like my old Unix shell
> used to?  How hard is it to find programs like Lynx and Pine?
>      I know this is an established list with people already well into
> the use of Linux and I hate to bog it down with a bunch of newbie
> questions, but I looked all over and could not find a "Linux for blind
> newbies" list or I would have gone there lol.
>      If anyone wants to email me directly you can mail to
> robd1953 at mindspring.com
>      I just basically want to see how people feel about using this
> exciting alternative to the dreaded Windows. *grin*
>
>           Rob

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group