Question about using speakup and Dectalk PC2.

Adam Myrow myrow at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 12 20:38:53 EDT 2002

The driver on the Blinux archive won't compile under a 2.4 kernel, at
least for me.  It worked OK under a 2.2 kernel.  Unmodified, it wouldn't
help Speakup as it directly addresses serial ports at startup and expects
a synthesizer.  Also, the Dectalk PC requires files to be copied to its
own memory, and these files are only available from the disk that comes
with it or possibly somewhere on the Internet.  For these reasons, I
wouldn't hold my breath on getting Speakup to work with it.

Kirk does, however plan to eventually get Speakup so that it supports
modules which load later in the boot process.  This may allow the Dectalk
driver to work with Speakup in the future provided it can be made to
compile under newer kernels.