Installation help

Georgina gena at gena-j.net
Sat Sep 29 19:02:55 EDT 2001

Hi

If I understand your set-up right, your easiest option would be to use
loadlin.  This would require that you have the files Linux, root.bin,
drivers.gz and the base2.2.tar.gz.  I may not have the filenames exactly
right but hopefully you'll know which ones I mean.  If you also had a copy
of loadlin.exe on your system or even in the same directory as the other
files you can use it to boot the system into Linux and start your
installation.

Say for example, you create a directory called c:\Linux and that you put all
the above files into the Linux directory.  You'd create a batch file
something like this:

@echo off
cd\
cd c:\Linux
loadlin Linux /dev/ram intrd-root.bin

Then you'd start the machine in pure DOS and type the name of the batch file
you've just created with the above lines.  BTW:  You enter pure DOS by
pressing F8 early on in the boot up process and select the option command
prompt only.  I'm assuming that you have Windows 95 or 98 installed?

Yes you could get the iso file burnt on to a CD and get your files off of
that or you could download them.  It much depends upon what is easiest for
you.  But to use floppies for the Debian install, I think that it is about
six floppies you'll need to create.

Whatever, method you use to start the installation you need to choose the
right kernel that matches your hardware.  Then once you've got into the
installation process, your going to have to partition your d drive and
change it to ex2 and swap type partitions.  But that can be attended to at
the right time.  Firstly, you need to be able to start the installation
process.

Please visit http://linux-speakup.org and read the Debian installation
documentation.

Gena