Slackware 8.0 partitioning tools.

Gordon Smith gordon at tft-bbs.co.uk
Sun Sep 16 07:03:21 EDT 2001

Hi Saqib

I see your documentation on the Slackware CD, good work.  I take your
points regarding SuSE.  What I was thinking of may doing was obtaining
Slackware, Debian, maybe Redhat as well as SuSE.  As I understand it, it
should be possible to import packages across distributions.  Therefore, if
I could somehow get a SuSE kernel compiled to include Speakup, then I'd
have the best of both worlds.  But I do take your point about a lot of SuSE
being X stuff, it sure is.  Regarding my partitioning problem, I think
another reply to my message may hold the solution to this problem.  Looks
as though it is to do with the way my system is laid out.  I shall
investigate that one further  I am finding this list most helpful in many
respects, so thanks to everybody who contributes.  One more question if I
may.  Do you know of a beginner's guide to Linux anywhere?.
At 10:02 16/09/01 +0100, Saqib Shaikh said:
>Hello there Gordan,
>
>This is Saqib Shaikh; I wrote the Speakup documentation that comes with
>Slackware.  Firstly I agree that SuSE did something very good by including a
>braille screen reader within their distribution.  However, there are a few
>points to bear in mind:
>1.  You have 7 CDs and a DVD but there is only half a CD of console apps!
>Most of the extra stuff, like VMWare demo, StarOffice, RealPlayer, Adobe
>Acrobat and the list goes on, are only accessible through X.  I still think
>SuSE is a good distro, but also remember that SuSE started off as Slackware
>with RPM support, and then they began adding lots of X stuff.  In short
>Slackware is good especially to start off with.  In terms of partitioning
>your hard disk have you tried:
>cfdisk /dev/hdc
>That is pass the disk name as a parameter.
>Email again if you require further info.
>
>Saqib

Kind regards, Gordon Smith.

"mailto:Gordon Smith <gordon at tft-bbs.co.uk"
"mailto:Gordon Smith <07932634539 at one2one.net"