New Speakup via CVS on 2.4.9

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Sep 4 10:35:17 EDT 2001

Hi, Kirk:

Just a brief note to say I had no particular problems with my most recent
to compile a custom kernel using the speakup cvs. I did, however, benefit
from reading the kernel README.

Yes, one might think I would have read it a long time ago, but I hadn't.
What prompted me to read it this time is that I've been singularly
unsuccessful, recently, in attempting to compile a new kernel retrieved
from ftp.kernels.org. You may recall I was on this list some weeks ago
asking about header includes, for this very reason.

Well, interesting enough, the README suggests leaving /usr/src/linux
alone--as is. It recommends putting the new source tree in one's own home
directory. I get the strong impression it wants things from
/usr/src/linux.
Is that crazy? Perhaps, but this time I decided not to wonder why.

My process was:

1.)	Rename /usr/src/linux;
2.)	Put 2.4.9 in /usr/src/linux;
3.)	Run the speakup cvs;
4.)	Move /usr/src/linux;
5.)	Put the former /usr/src/linux back to that name;
6.)	Do the compile;

Once I got my configuration right, I was able to gen up a 2.4.9 without
problems. Regretably, it doesn't work for me--but only because I've
recently moved to ext3, and the 2.4.9 compile didn't pick up ext3 support,
for some reason. Otherwise, it seemed just fine.

I suppose I could run 2.4.9 if I edit fstab back to ext2--but I'm
disinclined to do that. So, I'm back in 2.4.7. Guess I'll try to find out
how to get ext3 support working under my 2.4.9 kernel. Meanwhile, I
thought this experience might be of some minor use.

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp