Installing Redhat 7.1

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sun Sep 2 16:10:21 EDT 2001

Hi, Deborah:

You probably neglected to pass your synthesizer's name to the kernel in
lilo.conf. T All is not lost, however. Actually, nothing is lost! <grin>

Let me ask some questions:

1.)	What synth are you using? And, what serial port is it on?

2.)	Did you have speech during the installation? If you did, you
pretty much know how to get the installation talking during the boot
process. Instead of text, you type linux. The rest of the command stays
the same.

3.)	It's possible you need to prefix the command with a Ctrl-X to get
to the boot prompt. All of this is different, though, if the Redhat you
got from Bill's site is the very latest which defaults to the grub boot
loader rather than lilo--though you can still select and configure lilo
during the install.

4.)	To fix this permanently you need to:

	a.)	Get rid of the graphical /boot/message file and replace it
with something very textual, preferably including some Ctrl-G's so you can
have a beep or two to let you know when the lilo boot prompt comes up;

	b.) An appropriate edit of your /etc/lilo.conf file to include
your synth should do the trick. Why not attach it when you reply and I can
tweak it for you?

 On Sun, 2 Sep 2001, Deborah Mayne wrote:

> Hi gang!
>
> Sorry to be slightly off topic.  I downloaded the ISOs of Redhat 7.1
> from Bill Ackerman's site, and while they installed, I get no speech.
> I tried installing Redhat on a Pentium 2 with 512 meg of ram and 30
> gig hard drive as well as on a Thinkpad 1421 with 6 gig hard drive and
> 256 meg of ram.  I'd like to pass this particular installation on to
> several other people but need the speech.  It's likely some minor
> tweak.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
>
> Deb
>   0:58:24 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >Hi Kenny,
> >
> >Yep, mutt does the same thing here. However, I consider this to be a
> >great time-saver. I don't have to hear the same message twice in a
> >row. I have also set mutt to only display the to; and cc: lines, as
> >the sender's name and subject are displayed on the status line, which
> >can be easily read with current line in Speakup. Oh, I also have cc:
> >showing as well, but I've had mutt strip all the rest of my headers
> >from the display to save a bit more time.
> >
> >In short...I think it works great with Speakup.

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp