(no subject)

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Mon Oct 29 12:40:26 EST 2001

This rescue disk should work much the same way your bootdisks do for
Debian. I assume you made a boot disk for your Debian setup? If not, I'm
sorry for the assumpsion. The HOWTO's should have come with your distro; I
don't know where they are for Debian. In Slackware, they can be found in
the howto package under the F series. There is a bootdisk howto in there
that covers all of this. There's quite a bit of detail to go into and I
think it would be too much for a single e-mail. Plus I doubt I could
recall all the steps from the top of my head either. Hence I point to the
HOWTO again. Sorry for not offering specific answers here.

One brief summary I can try to give here is your boot disk should cause a
RAM disk to be built and prompt you to put in a second disk during the
boot process. Slackware does this for all their boot/root disk combos.
This second root / rescue disk gets unloaded into /dev/ram0 where the root
system actually exists for this session. If your hard disk was still
functioning, you could mount it manually and manipulate the data as
needed. Does this make it any clearer?