help for a newbie

Thomas Ward tward at bright.net
Fri Oct 26 11:39:36 EDT 2001

Hi, well, the old boot disk system no longer applies to speakup. You see in
a few cvs versions back speakup was updated to be able to switch synths via
the boot prompt.
For example when I want to load speakup to run a Red Hat 7.2 setup I type:
linux text speakup_synth=dectlk
Then, my dectalk express is loaded. I also could have typed:
linux text speakup_synth=bns
Then, I would have been able to load my bns or braille blazer as a synth.
So basically, get the standard speakup enabled boot disk, and by passing
some commands to the kernel via the boot prompt you can load any of the
supported synths even a null synth if you do not want speech.
I mostly have used Slackware  and Red Hat, but I am sure the same idea
applies to Debian.