kernel ramdisk problem

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Mon Oct 22 18:06:10 EDT 2001

Nick Gawronski said the following on Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 04:45:31PM -0500:
>       Hi, I am trying to make a kernel with speakup witch lets me load
> compressed root floppy disks like installation root disks in to a ram disk
> like slackware 8.0.  I am using kernel 2.4.10 and have ramdisk, ramdisk
> initrd, ext2, msdos, fat, vfat, umsdos, ext2, iso9660 and all of the
> standerd stuff in a rescue disk kernel.  My root disk works with the
> slackware boot disk but I want to build my own kernel with the speakup cut
> and paste features which the slackware boot disk does not have.  When I
> boot this kernel and the root device is set on /dev/fd0 it panics with
> vfs, unable to mount root fs on 02:00.  What could I be doing wrong to
> cause this when the slackware boot disk works but mine does not?  bye

Did you use the scripts that slackware has to build a boot disk?  Also,
did you use the old config file that comes with the default kernel?
Try these things in case you have not.

--
Raul A. Gallegos mailto:raul at asmodean.net http://www.asmodean.net
For millions of years, mankind lived just like the animals..  Then