DSL Providors

Raul A . Gallegos raul.a.gallegos at mail.sprint.com
Mon Oct 22 12:02:32 EDT 2001

cpt.kirk at 1tree.net said the following on Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:06:08AM -0500:
> I would recomend you read up on security. This is one of the leading
> reasons why there are so many security holes and breaches. The reverse is
> true. Make it simpler and the security is easier. Use a corded phone and
> they have to tap the wires. Disconnect your computer from the internet and
> it is much more secure without any additional steps. Technology gives a
> false sense of security.

This reminds me of a technical support call I once dealt with when I
used to do tech support for the broadband wireless service in Denver at
the time called wantweb.net.  The guy asked me what I recommended as the
best form of security for his internet connection.  I told him that if
he removed the physical layer then he would have a 100% guarantee no one
would ever get in.  This was after he had told me he was very
knowledgible in networking yet he didn't get my joke of the physical
layer.  He actually asked me what was that?  I said your ethernet cable.
Remove that and you have 100% guarantee.

Raul A. Gallegos -- Sprint BWG Systems Administration
Network Operations Center 9300 Metcalf Ave. Overland Park, KS 66212
Office:913/534.5603	PCS:913/488.3011
mailto:raul.a.gallegos at mail.sprint.com