DSL Providors

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Oct 22 12:06:08 EDT 2001

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Amanda Lee wrote:
> This is why I use Digital Service for wireless phones and will rarely use
> analog cellular unless it's an emergency.

Yet another falsehood. These are only more secure in that there are not
ready made scanners to listen in. But guess what? There are tools to
listen in and if you have a scanner nerd in your area they are listening.

> Other point is not to use cordless phones that are not Digital Spread
> Spectrum (DSS).

This offers a little protection. But only a little. Again, the phones use
a very easy to crack spreading scheme. The point of the scheme most phones
use is interferance resistance and the making it harder to listen is a
side benefit. Most are easily tracked if they catch the begining of the
call.

> Of course it is possible to hack into anything but making the technology
> more complex in it's protocol decreases the likelihood.

I would recomend you read up on security. This is one of the leading
reasons why there are so many security holes and breaches. The reverse is
true. Make it simpler and the security is easier. Use a corded phone and
they have to tap the wires. Disconnect your computer from the internet and
it is much more secure without any additional steps. Technology gives a
false sense of security.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
	- President George Bush