DSL Providors

Kirk Wood cpt.kirk at 1tree.net
Mon Oct 22 09:48:16 EDT 2001

The security issues are really quite simple. The internet is insecure. As
soon as people start realizing this we can move on.

There is a great deal made about people being able to easily snoop the
packets on cable. While this might be theory, it isn't practice. I have
hooked up a sniffer. I see everyone's arp packets and those packets
destined to one of the two ip addresses that are hooked to the
"modem". The reason is that the cable "modem" only forwards traffic bound
for mac addresses that it has communicated with on the ethernet side.

Now the further truth is that ethernet is the most common form of
networking arround. Yes, all packets are observable if someone wants to
take the effort to do so. Then again, it is much easier to intercept your
cordless telephone. It is almost as easy to intercept your celular
phone. And yet people gab here without concern for security. If you are
really concerned, then just don't get on the net.

=======
Kirk Wood
Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
	- President George Bush