Speakup 1.00 thanks

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Oct 21 12:29:51 EDT 2001

Hello.  I would like to thank Kirk, Andy, and anyone else who has worked
on Speakup over the last two years.  I was able to get and install Speakup
1.00 and have finally compiled my own kernel successfully.  So, I am now
running kernel 2.4.12 and liking it.  I really like the new cut and paste.
Thanks for fixing the pitch problem with the DECTalk Express.  If anyone
out there really cares about Linux, you owe it to yourself to figure out
how to compile your own kernel with the latest stable Speakup release.  It
is really not too bad and there is lots of help for configuring.  My
system now boots much faster.

On another note, recently my Windows setup decided to weird out and tried
to restore everything to the defaults.  Needless to say, it would not boot
right and kept locking up.  (What is new?)  Anyway, it is a little sad and
unfortunate when you have to use a free, noncommercial OS to go around
Microsoft and fix the mess they created.  In other words, Linux saved my
butt and I would not have been able to fix Windows otherwise.  No, I am
not ready to completely move everything to Linux yet, and there are just
too many programs which have not been ported to console mode apps.