pretty easy question

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Tue Oct 16 16:48:14 EDT 2001

Hi
   To format a linux floppy, the command is:
mke2fs /dev/fd0u1440
This will make a linux-formatted floppy, size 1.44 MB. If you're formatting a floppy for the first time, you must use /dev/fd0u1440 as your device name to set the capacity to 1.44 M. After that, the device /dev/fd0 can be used.
   If you want to format a dos-compatible floppy under linux, the command would be:
mkdosfs /dev/fd0u1440
   Note that unless your user is in the floppy group, these operations must be performed as root. If you're using your user account, add the /sbin/ directory to the beginning of the command name, like this:
/sbin/mke2fs /dev/fd0u1440

HTH