Numpad problems

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Tue Oct 16 00:22:04 EDT 2001

Tim:

You chose the wrong keymap. That makes all the difference in the world.
Correct choice is speakup, and not U.S. If you skip that, you get U.S. by
default, I believe. Either way, you don't get what you want unless you
choose speakup.

All is not lost. Use the loadkeys command to load the speakup map.

 On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Tim
Burgess wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm unable to use all of the numpad functions in SpeakUp.  The symptoms are
> as follows:
>
> 1 - Pressing the previous/next/current keys generate no output except when I
> reach a screen edge, at which point  I get the appropriate message;
>
> 2 - Pressing the "-" key says park/unpark, as expected;
>
> 3 - Pressing NumLock announces the key status, as expected.
>
> I first noticed this behaviour on Slackware 7.1 with SpeakUp 0.09 and a
> Braille 'n Speak.  I was about to upgrade anyway, so ignored the problem.
> I'm now getting exactly the same when booting from a Slackware 8 boot/root
> disk set created from speakup.i and color.gz.  I've tried selecting the U.S.
> key map and I've also tried skipping the key map selection.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Tim Burgess
> Technical Support
> Voice:  +44 (0)1827 716000
> Fax:  +44 (0)1827 715386
>
> General enquiries -
>
> Blazie Engineering Ltd.
> Windemere House
> Kendall Avenue
> London
> W3 0XA
>
> Phone:  +44 (0)208 752 8650
> Fax:  +44 (0)208 752 8656
> E-mail:  info at blazie.co.uk
> Web:  http://www.blazie.co.uk

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp