trplayer and audio permissions

Frank Carmickle frankiec at braille.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 10 16:20:22 EDT 2001

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Steve Holmes wrote:

> I wonder, don't you mean static rather than dynamic?  Since trplayer comes

If it was statically built you wouldn't need the libs at all.  The output
of ldd on trplayer shows that it is not linked to the realplayer lib.

> along later, it would have to call realplayer lib functions at run time.

Yes it must be runtime.  I don't understand this.  But what I see says
that this is the case.

> So that brings up the notion of having to resolve these things
> "dynamically" or at run time. I don't fully understand ldconfig but wonder
> what effect that might be done. Again, this works fine for root so can't
> imagine ldconfig having anything to do with it.

That is another good reason why ldconfig doesn't have anything to do with
it.

--
     Frank Carmickle
phone:     412 761-9568