Roswell 2

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Fri Oct 5 12:42:09 EDT 2001

The Redhat Roswell has nothing to do with any show. Typically releases on
linux get names. Come to think of it, this is also the practice at
Microsoft, though there these names tend not to make it out into public
knowledge.

Redhat 7.0 was called Fisher. Redhat 7.1 is also known as Seawolf. The
next Redhat release, whenever it comes, will be 7.2 and will be called
Roswell. This release is already in public beta.

Should you get and install Roswell? My suggested answer is "no." Why?
Because it's a beta, meaning that some parts of it are almost certainly
not working quite right yet. I happen to believe that beginners should get
as much help as possible from their software. Having things break on you
is especially not helpful when you're just figuring out how things work.

Ofd course, no software is perfect. But, you have a higher level of
reliability in a release product than in one which is made available in
order to get feedback from the community about how it's working.

If you do decide to go for Roswell, do not come back to us and say "Redhat
or linux are bad because such and such isn't working." Even if your
message is accompanied by extensive logs of what you typed and what the
system did--and all of this was just as it should be--the answer will be,
"hmm, it's a bug in the beta. Report it on Bugzilla."

--

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp