User Interface Issues

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Thu Oct 4 12:35:49 EDT 2001

Steve, it may be profitable to spend a little time investigating what file
formats are in common use. If you like, I may be able to help with some
higher up contacts inside the banking industry.

I would say I regard giving the customer their own data as very much the
right thing to do. There's no reason for the file format to be obscure or
proprietary. What's important is that it is transmitted securely. But,
that's a different issue from the format itself.

 On Thu, 4 Oct 2001, Steve
Holmes wrote:

> That's good to know. I know that my institution, Desert Schools Federal
> Credit Union packs up that kind of data in a nice tab delimitted file -
> easy to read even in a text editor! I'll probably use their file format as
> a typical deal for batch data entry.
>
> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Kirk Wood wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Steve Holmes wrote:
> > > ... As this thing evolves, I wouldn't mind seeing
> > > what could be done to "hook it up" to financial institutions like they do
> > > with Quicken and Money. They probably use a licensed protocle that would
> > > require a fee or something but that would be a long ways from what I'm
> > > starting with. ....
> >
> > Actually, the latest trend in online banking is that the client no longer
> > connects to the bank. Instead, you chose to have the bank package the data
> > into a file that can then be imported into your program. I won't try to be
> > an armchair lawyer commenting about the legality of reverse engineering
> > the file structure. But if you wanted this type of thing, that seems like
> > the way to go. In fact, it might be interesting if you could work with the
> > files from say Quicken.
> >
> > =======
> > Kirk Wood
> > Cpt.Kirk at 1tree.net
> >
> > "When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missle at
> > a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."
> > 	- President George Bush

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp