cygwin

Whitley GS11 Cecil H WhitleyCH at cherrypoint.usmc.mil
Tue Oct 2 16:46:27 EDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Janina Sajka
To: 'speakup at braille.uwo.ca'
Sent: 10/1/01 8:19 PM
Subject: RE: strange question

Hi, Cecil, and welcome to the speakup list. I think we can tell already
you'll be an asset here! <grin>

I would agree with you about the SSH clients available in Cygwin, but I
just don't know that it's all that valuable to install such a large
footprint for just a tiny component. And, once installed, it's still
only
a PC Console application which won't run any differently than the PC
Console executables in the ssh.com package. At least, the ssh.com
package
goes both ways--command line and gui.

As to compiling kernels, fear not. In fact, I think I can put you at
ease
about kernels very easily. Are you aware that you can have several
kernels
waiting at the ready when you boot? You can choose one one time, and a
different one another time.

So, the magic trick with kernels is to get one working more or less as
you
need. Thereafter, as long as you take care not to trash that one, you
can
simply add without penalty. It's really quite cool.

Also, another way to think of custom kernels is to see them as a
customized sports car. The stock distribution gives you a stock sedan.
When you customize, you get to tweak your performance. Also quite cool.

Again, welcome.

 On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Whitley GS11
Cecil H wrote:

> Hi,
> I just joined the list today.  In reviewing the last month I noticed
this
> thread.  I use open ssh that comes with the cygwin distribution.  It
works
> well for me.  I am running nt 4.0 with jaws.
> On the unix/linux side I maintain five solaris 2.6 boxes and one rh
7.1 box
> running squid.  It will soon be two, and maybe even a third as m.s.
proxy
> goes in the dustbin.  I have been very interested in speakup, but
haven't
> installed it yet.  My holdup is determining which machine (desktop or
> laptop) and not wantin to o through the pain of re-partitioning.
Since I
> run NT on the desktop, i'll have to repartition in order to load it
there,
> but that avoids the laptop keyboard limitation issues, not to mention
> pcmcia.
> Why redhat?  That's the flavor that dell supports on their servers
when you
> call in hardware issues.
> The thought of building my own kernel gives me nightmares!  Okay, so
that's
> a dos-ism.....   I'll get over it.  For ya'll whom are running redhat,
is
> 2.4.3-12 advisable?
> Regards,
> Cecil

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp