trouble using fips

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at mhonline.net
Wed Nov 28 06:35:58 EST 2001

Sounds to me like perhaps you did not defrag the disk before running fips.
Fips will not do that for you, so it can only reduce your existing
partition to the location of the "farthest out" allocated disk sectors. If
that is the case, use some kind of disk defragging tool and try it again.

On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, dannyboy wrote:

> Hello.  When attempting to use fips, I saw that the numbers for the starting cylinder never change.  I have a 6.49 gig hard drive.  So I entered to have the new partition begin on the first free cylinder.  Instead, the old partition was decreased by only .02 gb.  Fortunately I was able to restore everything back.  What other approach could be used to create another partition without destroying data on this disk?

* Code a little, test a little, code a little, test a little,
Code code code, test a lot, code a little more *
Visit me at http://www.mhonline.net/~chuckh
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (94% of Full)