Help the Floundering Newbie!

Holmes, Steve SAHolmes at ahcccs.state.az.us
Tue May 22 16:02:00 EDT 2001

I think you may have answered some of your own questions already.  For
remote access, I use Telnet over a network.  I've done this from other linux
machines running speakup and from windows telnet clients.  Both methods
worked well for me.

My total programming experienced involved using an optacon and later moving
to speech when it became available.  Speech wins out over the optacon hands
down.  Optacon was nice for looking at layout and format.  I could never
afford braille devices so can't comment on their effectiveness.  I have all
punctions turned on in my speech environment so I don't miss the commas and
semicolons and stuff.  When I use Window-Eyes in environments like Visual
Basic, I can use a "mixed case" mode which will properly pronounce complex
variable names such as SingleMouseClick as "single mouse click" - separate
words.  Little enhancements like this make programming in a speech
environment pretty tolerable (to me at least).

One linux compatible database server (postgresql from www.postgres.org) can
be coupled into perl scripts and web based applications.  In fact, this
server can be remote accessed via TCP/IP also.  The default client that
comes with it is a commandline based thing that works well in a text based
environment.  In fact, they have a windows client that can be used to
administer it as well.  I haven't had a chance to check this client out to
see how accessible it is though.

These ideas don't have much to do with speakup specifically but I hope they
are of some help.