compiling multiple synths in to kernel

Jacob Schmude jacobs at surferie.net
Thu May 17 18:06:05 EDT 2001

Hi
   If you want to compile multiple synths into the kernel, you'll need to
get the current CVS release of speakup. 0.10A doesn't support this. To get
CVS version, start with a clean source tree. Get the checkout script from:
ftp://linux-speakup.org/pub/speakup/checkout and make it executable. Then
run it. Press enter when it asks for CVSROOT, and use the word "please" as
your password when it prompts you. It will then retrieve the latest speakup
from cvs and patch it into the kernel. I'm not sure if the CVS version is
still compatible with 2.4.2, though, you may need to update to kernel 2.4.4
if it doesn't work. The configuration interface has changed a bit. Now it
asks you for each synth in a yes/no fassion. Say yes to the ones you need,
then it will prompt you for a default. You then enter the synth string such
as bns or dtlk. And when it asks you to use speakup keymap by default you
should also say yes or your review keys won't work. To switch synths, use
the kernel command line parameter:
speakup_synth=xxx   where xxx is the synthesizer string such as bns. If you
don't want any synth to be used, you can answer none.

HTH