software speech for speakup

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Wed May 16 12:33:01 EDT 2001

I'll tell you why software speech is a big deal to me. I spend a lot of
time on the road. Because I work for a non-profit agency, I'm not
usually in First Class when I'm on the airplane. I'm frequently locked
into a hotel conference room with anywhere from 20 to 200 other people.
Sometimes I have a table to spread my computer out on. Often, I just
have my lap. For me, software speech means that I can use linux and
speakup with just a headphone--nothing else. Today, it's just a lot more
complicated because there's that additional device, and that cable that
attaches that additional device to the computer. So, today, when I don't
have table space, I run emacspeak with ViaVoice--but I'd sure like to
have the speakup option, too.

PS: When I'm on the road, I don't usually care if speech starts at the
very beginning of the boot process. Mostly, I don't even boot, but
rather use the suspend/resume feature of my laptop which, by the way,
works pretty well with ViaVoice.