Machine reboots instead of shutting down

Janina Sajka janina at afb.net
Sat May 5 04:18:49 EDT 2001

Victor:

Two points:

1.)	Check your /etc/inittab. Look for the line that issues the
shutdown command and make sure it says "shutdown -h now". If it says
"shutdown -r now", change it. The default behavior is the -r reboot;

2.)	I have noticed that changing hardware my notebook, for example
swapping out the cdrom from my ultrabay and inserting the second battery,
reliably prevents the kernel from starting up. If I simply power down and
power up again, all is well. The next time I swap hardware, I find I have
to do this again. The first boot attempt doesn't work, but the second one
does.